|View map >>>>|
Kirovohrad. The city was founded on the lands of the Zaporozhian Sich in the mid-18th c. as the fortress of St. Elizabeth for the protection of the southern borders of the Russian Empire from the invasions of the Turks and Crimean Tatars. Soon a settlement appeared around the fortress and in 1775 it got the name of Yelisavetgrad. The barracks of the Yelisavetgrad Fortress (1754) have remained to this day, as well as architectural monuments of the 19th c.: the Greek and the Intercession Churches.
The fortress and town are associated with the activities of military leaders A. Suvorov and M. Kutuzov. In the military hospital quartered in the fortress (1787-1797) the surgical school worked, one of the first establishments of higher medical education in Ukraine. During the Crimean War (1853-1856) a military >>>>
|Hutіr nad Bugom|
|Kirovohrad oblast, Solgutovo|